Twitter | Search | |
Search Refresh
U.S. Naval Institute Jan 9
in 1952, the Marines announced they would be recalling great Ted Williams to active duty. Williams had served as a pilot during WWII and would fly another 39 combat missions in Korea, often as future astronaut John Glenn's wingman. He returned to play 8 more seasons
Reply Retweet Like
Tim Dunn Jan 10
10th Jan, in 1863, London’s first true Underground Railway opened: the Metropolitan. So I went to have a look. Behold! Baker Street then (1863) vs Baker Street now (2018)
Reply Retweet Like
Poets.org 14h
For above and around me the wild wind is roaring —Anne Brontë, born in 1820
Reply Retweet Like
AmericanLaborMuseum 10h
in 1915 The song 'Solidarity Forever' by Ralph Chaplin is first sung, on a hunger march through Chicago organised by Lucy Parsons.
Reply Retweet Like
OnThisDayTheIRA 22h
in 1980 the IRA murdered Abayoni Olorunda, 35. Married father of 3. Accountant. 1 of 2 murdered when a bomb exploded prematurely on the 4:55pm Ballymena - Belfast train. Born in Nigeria he’d lived in Belfast a decade with his wife, a nurse. Children aged 1, 3 & 5
Reply Retweet Like
Irish America Jan 14
in 1961 Barry Fitzgerald died. Known for his roles in The Quiet Man, How Green Was My Valley, Going My Way and And Then There Were None. A little known fact is that his brother Arthur Shields* fought in the 1916 Easter Rising under James Connolly. (*corrected)
Reply Retweet Like
Brontë Parsonage 21h
'My soul is awakened, my spirit is soaring And carried aloft on the wings of the breeze; For above and around me the wild wind is roaring, Arousing to rapture the earth and the seas.' Anne Brontë was born in 1820.
Reply Retweet Like
Physics Today 15h
Benjamin Franklin, who was not only an influential statesman but also a gifted scientist, was born 1706 in Boston
Reply Retweet Like
Poets.org Jan 10
You have to remember this isn’t your land. It belongs to no one, like the sea you once lived beside and thought was yours. —Philip Levine, born in 1928
Reply Retweet Like
BL Prints & Drawings 22h
Naturalist, philosopher and theologian John Ray died 1705. He published De Historia Piscium (A History of Fishes) in 1686. This drawing is from a volume in Hans Sloane's collection, inscribed ‘A book of fishes done at hamburgh, with Mr Ray’s notes’. Add MS 5308c
Reply Retweet Like
Working Class History Jan 15
15 Jan 1934 the UK tabloid the Daily Mail published an article 'Hurrah for the Blackshirts!' supporting Oswald Mosley's fascist movement. Written by Viscount Rothemere, whose family still own the Mail, its politics haven't really changed much
Reply Retweet Like
OnThisDayTheIRA 22h
in 1976 the IRA murdered Mark Ashford, 19. Soldier shot, Londonderry. He was guarding civilian searchers checking shoppers entering city. Murderers mingled with shoppers & fled among screaming women. Mother thanked people of Creggan/Bogside for letters of sympathy
Reply Retweet Like
Joy Division Central 19h
Joy Division 1980 Plan K, Brussels, Belgium Concert was bootlegged on the 1988 Gotterdammerung LP Photo (c) Philippe Carly
Reply Retweet Like
SABR BioProject Jan 15
Bob Gibson was elected to the in 1981, his first yr of eligibility. He received 84% of the vote. I wonder what the other 16% were thinking? Here's his bio
Reply Retweet Like
Scotland’s History 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Jan 16
1707 the Scottish Parliament voted for Union with England 106 votes - 69. It was extremely unpopular with the public with riots in Glasgow & Edinburgh. Financial "incentives" from England lead Robert Burns to conclude "We're bought and sold for English Gold"
Reply Retweet Like
CLASSIC MOVIES DAILY 21h
Born 1931 James Earl Jones 1926 Moira Shearer 1980 Zooey Deschanel 1942 Muhammed Ali 1899 Al Capone 1989 Kelly Marie Tran 1882 Noah Beery Sr 1914 Irving Brecher 1959 Susanna Hoffs 1969 Naveen Andrews 1975 Freddy Rodriguez 1933 Shari Lewis 1927 Eartha Kitt 1922 Betty White
Reply Retweet Like
Play Deep, ACME 2h
Darrell Porter was born in 1952 Joplin, MO '71-87 1506 games caught (#33 AT) MIL STL KCR TEX '82 WC '82 WS MVP '82 NLCS MVP 4x AS 3rd in '73 AL ROY '79 AL TOB Ldr 188 HR 106 IBB .247/.354/.409 113 OPS+ 38% CS (35% lg avg)
Reply Retweet Like
Worn On This Day Jan 14
Worn in 1858 by Empress Eugenie to the Paris Opera, where an Italian anarchist threw bombs at her carriage; 8 were killed and 156 hurt. In a well-received show of fortitude, she and Emperor Napoleon III proceeded to their box and enjoyed Rossini’s "William Tell."
Reply Retweet Like
Fed. Judicial Hist. 12h
decided Sony v. Universal in 1984; ruled 5-4 that use of Betamax didn't violate copyright in TV shows
Reply Retweet Like
Robert McNees Jan 15
John Cocke and Mike Disney made the first observation of an optical pulsar, in the Crab Nebula, in 1969. Barely a year after Jocelyn Bell Burnell's discovery of pulsars, it was strong evidence that a neutron star is the remnant of supernova. Image: Nature, Vol. 221 No. 5180
Reply Retweet Like