Twitter | Search | |
Monhegan Museum
Housed in the historic Monhegan Island Light Station we display exhibits relevant to the island's natural, social, industrial, cultural, and artistic history.
248
Tweets
47
Following
136
Followers
Tweets
Monhegan Museum Jul 12
Fishermen posed for snapshot at Fishhouse. l-r:Frank Wincapaw, Will Stanley, Adolph Stevens, Everett Wincapaw, Chris Nicholson, Dwight Stanley, Alden Wincapaw, Henry Stanley, Andrew Peterson, and two unidentified young boys c.1915
Reply Retweet Like
Monhegan Museum Jul 10
Island Divided over Horse Case Clippings from 1924.
Reply Retweet Like
Monhegan Museum Jul 9
One of the early Winter Works coordinator's and avid crafter, Barbara Stanley, sweeping out the store when it was in the location which is now the John Sterling Harbor House. The co-op is still active after almost 40 years, shop here:
Reply Retweet Like
Monhegan Museum Jul 4
Printed in the Boothbay Register, July 9, 1910 "Charles Field got his hand hurt with a fire cracker the Fourth." Happy 4th of July! Stay safe.
Reply Retweet Like
Monhegan Museum Jun 30
"Monhegan Night #5" acrylic on paper by Francis Kornbluth. From 1957 until her death in 2014, Kornbluth spent every summer on Monhegan except one. She was an artist and a teacher.
Reply Retweet Like
Monhegan Museum Jun 29
Opening day is just two days away! Reserve your tickets here to guarantee admission: To ensure everyone's safety, only the gallery will be open, not the Lighthouse nor the History exhibits.
Reply Retweet Like
Monhegan Museum Jun 28
The U.S.S. Cowslip at Monhegan Wharf. The Cowslip was a Coast Guard cutter. In the 1940s it brought water to the island during a drought. Look at how small the Laura B. seems in comparison! I wonder how much water was brought.
Reply Retweet Like
Monhegan Museum Jun 26
Untitled drawing pastel on paper by Teco Slagboom. Teco was a science illustrator and artist. He seemed enthralled with capturing the beauty in nature, creating almost photographic details in his work.
Reply Retweet Like
Monhegan Museum Jun 24
On this day in the Monhegan Press 1939: MacMillan to anchor at Monhegan Tonight on way to Greenland Monhegan…will be the first port of call for famous explorer, Beginning his 18th expedition to Arctic regions. PHOTO: Commander Donald MacMillan and his dog, Ipar.
Reply Retweet Like
Monhegan Museum Jun 23
Gradual opening starting July 1, get your tickets here: Members are free but need tickets. Only 5 available per half hour, 1-3 pm. Gallery only.
Reply Retweet Like
Monhegan Museum retweeted
Dan Hicks Jun 22
Hi Linda - thanks so much! Added to one of the two Twitter moments archiving today's day on THE USA >> Next up - for Day 84 (Tuees 23 June) the theme is PRINTS AND PRINTMAKING!
Reply Retweet Like
Monhegan Museum retweeted
Linda Norris Jun 22
Non-NY US museums for : estimates there are 35,144 of them! Sharing just a few images from a tiny one on an island in
Reply Retweet Like
Monhegan Museum Jun 21
The clearing on the hill past the Museum is still referred to as "the ballfield" even though a proper game of baseball hasn't been played there in years. This space was used weekly in the summer for playing ball. FD Steele made posters to advertise the games like this one.
Reply Retweet Like
Monhegan Museum Jun 19
A favorite form of entertainment during the first half of the 20th century was masquerade! These participants were dressed for the annual Monhegan Library Benefit Masquerade Ball c. 1937.
Reply Retweet Like
Monhegan Museum Jun 17
A Painter’s Paradise: 19th century art of Monhegan gallery exhibition paintings can be viewed here:
Reply Retweet Like
Monhegan Museum Jun 15
Nona Timson summered on Monhegan from 1893 to 1946. She ran a variety of tea rooms including the Seine Loft, located in the current Barnacle building. In 1927, Nona had 'Mooring Chain' built near Lobster Cove and had her tea room on the porch.
Reply Retweet Like
Monhegan Museum Jun 13
Group of nine men, Trefethren & Horn fish houses in back Back row from left: Unidentified man, Rufus Pierce Jr., Claudin Wincapaw. Front row from left: Leonard "Len" Richards, Unidentified man, Chauncy Davis. Standing alone: Alonzo Pierce. From right: SPR Triscott, James Mullins
Reply Retweet Like
Monhegan Museum Jun 11
Wear your support of the Monhegan Museum on your sleeve, check out our apparel available for purchase on our website.
Reply Retweet Like
Monhegan Museum retweeted
Ventura Pacific Ltd Jun 5
The Gulls, Monhegan : Maine : George Bellows : Circa 1911 Art Print Archival ... via
Reply Retweet Like
Monhegan Museum Jun 9
2008 Gallery Exhibit: Lynne Drexler: a life in color Lynne moved to Monhegan year-round from New York in 1983, having summered there since 1961. Her house on the meadow was filled with her paintings, hanging floor to ceiling in her studio and piled on the living room shelves.
Reply Retweet Like